Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

BloGTK

lately i have been on the lookout for an off line blog writing software on Linux. On windows, in office i had been using the Live writer (i know that is a MS product, still that is great), and now the scribe fire firefox plugin.

The Scribe Fire plugin is good, but somehow i am not so very comfortable with it. with every new version released, something is throwing me off, like holding the previous blog in the editor area, and stuff like that. Other than that it is great. But i want something outside of the web browser, on the desktop. (Again don't start, i know i am some one who lives on the internet, but i too need to do take a break and do something different). So had been searching a lot, and came across gnome-blog, blogtk, kblog. I needed something out of these K's and G's. It is boring to say i use Kthis Kthat and ....., So i zeroed in on BloGTK. The version which is installed on my home computer is 1.1, i have to check what i have got in my laptop in office.

It looks nice. I love the icon of BloGTK and their web site. Ok, though bit not easy to find info. I've been trying to configure it for blogger, for the past 3 hours then i came across a link which finally got me working, it is here...

In the Server URL textbox in the Accounts and Preferences window, enter the url as http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2, the rest of the things are self explanatory. Fill in the rest of the details, and you are ready to go. Go to file --> connect, then you can start writing.

But i was not able to enter the Title for my blog, i tried to see if i had done anything wrong, Googled for it, but in vain. If i can find something for this title, i think i can get used to it. Though you can't say it to be user friendly (it slightly requires you to understand and use HTML), still it should do the necessary for me. But till i find out how to enter the title and solution to any other problem which i might face, i will be logging in to blogger directly and then posting.

and just in case you end up with a blank BloGTK.conf file in /home//.BloGTK, which makes BloGTK to crash everytime (which happened to me, i un-installed and then reinstalled), i am posting my .BloGTK configuration, which might be of some use....
[Default]
useutf = 0
system = blogger
publish = FALSE
server = http://www.blogger.com/api/RPC2
retrievalnumber = 10.0
user = nasarabna
pass = xxxxxxxxxx
font = Clean 12
defaultpublish = 1
It stores your password in plain text in this file.

2 comments:

  1. Hey do you know me? How come you linked me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shuba, I studied along with you in UG, i was in ICE dept., and am also in your friend list in orkut...
    seems we haven't scrapped for some time,...

    ReplyDelete